Thursday 21 May 2015

Death of a Needle

Last night's television viewing became tinged with sadness when
half way through the last episode of George Gently my trusty
needle finally broke his neck.

He's the one at the top.

It was all over very quickly and I don't think he suffered although
his head had been at a funny angle for some months ever since an
unsuccessful attempt at beading had left him looking like
an upholsterer's tool.  Arthritic twinges quickly ensued and,
although he never complained (stitching was his life), he was
never quite the same again and very difficult to thread.

Needle had been with me for several years and together we'd
stitched through Strictly Come Dancing 2012, 2013 and 2014.
We'd shared a couple of Chelsea Flower Shows (this year was
our third but sadly he never got to see who was awarded best
in show), eagerly awaited a Royal birth and even crossed the
Channel together on my escape from France.

Shiny new apprentice commencing his training.


He was the needle who stitched Do Different and Kell's Eden
together with many more, as yet unpublished, projects who's
secrets he took with him.

Goodbye old friend - RIP which in this case has nothing to do
with unpicking.  His little broken, silver body now rests in
the dead needle tin in my workbox along with others who have
gone before.

Tissue anyone?

3 comments:

  1. LOL! Only you could tell such a story so well. Thank you for the smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your "death of a needle" story! So good. I see so many more of your wonderful designs that I want to stitch; just need a lot more time. Well............back to stitching on Do Different; I am so in love with this design, I loved it from the moment I saw it! Thanks for sharing your beautiful talent. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your "death of a needle" story! So good. I see so many more of your wonderful designs that I want to stitch; just need a lot more time. Well............back to stitching on Do Different; I am so in love with this design, I loved it from the moment I saw it! Thanks for sharing your beautiful talent. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete